Your Mom Was Right – Eat Your Fruits & Veggies!
Fruits and vegetables hold many health benefits. The main benefits are a decreased risk for chronic diseases. These nutrient packed foods also help with digestive problems and increasing your nutrient uptake. They are also low in calories which can aid in weight loss.
Diets high in Fruits and Vegetables Boast these benefits:
- High in Fiber – This helps aid in feeling full as well as the digestive process
- High in Vitamins and Minerals – Getting vitamins and minerals from natural sources is a great way to feel energized and healthy
- Lots of Variety – You can try something new almost everyday
- Colorful – Adding color to your plate helps keep eating fun and is a sign of higher nutrient density
- Healthy in Any Form – Cooked, frozen, juiced, fresh or dried (minus all the extras) fruits and vegetables still offer the same benefits
- Can Help Vision – Vitamins found in fruits and vegetables help with eye health
- Decrease Risk – Diets high in fruits and vegetables have been found to decrease risk for heart disease, blood pressure and cancer
Quick and easy ways to add them to your diet:
- Add to most foods – omelets, pancakes, yogurt, sauces, anything can be made delicious with the addition of fruits or vegetables
- Juicing – Blending a concoction of fruits and vegetables can create a tasty and nutritious drink
- Every meal – Eat at least one serving of fruits or vegetables with every meal
- Desert – Switch out that sugary desert for a bowl of colorful fruits
- Keep it Fresh – Having fresh produce on hand makes it easy to grab a quick snack
Try this calculator to see the minimum recommendations from CDC on fruits and vegetables.